Oakmont Borough – Code Enforcement
The Borough of Oakmont recently contracted with Building Inspection Underwriters (BIU) for most Code Enforcement services. The duties of the Code Enforcement Officer are to assist in the operation and enforcement of ordinances in the Borough of Oakmont. Upon observance or detection of violations of ordinances, the Code Enforcement Officer will give notice to the offending person by a Notice of Violation. By not correcting the code violations within a specified period, fines, penalties, and fees may occur.
Adoption of 2015 Edition of International Property Maintenance Code, which is on file in the Office of the Borough Manager, is adopted as the Property Maintenance Code of the Borough of Oakmont, for the control of buildings and structures and, all regulations, provisions, penalties, conditions and terms of the Property Maintenance Code.
Below are some of the Borough Codes that are expected of property owners:
- Section 173-28, Cleaning and Snow Removal Requirements: Every person who inhabits a house or building adjoining to any paved footway in the Borough of Oakmont, when snow shall fall, shall remove the same within 12 hours after the same shall cease to fall.
- Section 205-908, Signs Within Borough Right-of-Way: No sign including traffic signs and similar regulatory notices except those of a duly constituted governing body shall be allowed within road right-of-way lines.
- Section 302.4 Weeds: All premises and exterior property located within 15 feet of an occupied structure shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth more than eight inches. All noxious weeds are prohibited. Weeds are defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs.
- Section 302.5, Rodent Harborage: All structures and exterior property shall be kept free from rodent harborage and insect infestation. Where rodents or insects are found, they are to be promptly exterminated by approved processes.
- Section 302.7, Accessory Structures: All accessory buildings, including detached garages, fences, sheds, pools and walls, shall be maintained structurally sound and in
For the purposes of this article, the above sections were edited for content. For full details of Oakmont Borough’s Codes, visit www.ecode360.com/OA0228, or contact Phyllis J. Anderson, Assistant Borough Manager.